Who is required to pay Zakat?
For people to pay Zakat they must meet the following criteria:
- The person should be Muslim, adult, sane, free (not a slave).
- They must posses a certain minimum amount of extra wealth (called nisab), fully owned by them in excess of personal use (such as clothing, food, shelter, household furniture, utensils, cars, etc).
- They should have had this minimum amount in possession for a complete lunar year (hawl).
- The wealth should be of a productive nature, from which they can derive profit or benefit such as merchandise for business, gold, silver, livestock, etc.
- The minimum amount (or Nisab) should not be owed to someone, i.e., it should be free from debt.
To read more about detailed information on Zakat, click here…